Wednesday 28 September 2016

Fresh & Fabulous After Fifty - Part 2

This post is a continuation from last week’s post (obviously) which I felt ended slightly abruptly. Well the thing is I wanted to do this lovely title some justice which I felt I wasn’t giving it while writing last week and I just told myself; “hold up right there, let’s form some coherent thought on this subject and come up with a part 2.” I went ahead with posting part 1 because I have been trying to achieve consistency and the personal goal is for me to post at least 1 blog post every week which I have proudly done for 2 weeks now. For now I am trying to find my blogging voice and become more comfortable in sharing my thoughts to the world through this blog, it’s kind of like exercising, building blogging muscle and strength.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way I shall move on to the main subject which is looking at the inspirational lives of people above the age of 50 who are fresh and fabulous starting with the famous home cook who still glows on screen at the age of 56 - the oh so lovely Nigella Lawson. I love the domestic goddess Nigella Lawson, and she was one the main inspiration, kind of like the seedlings that produced this fascination and appreciation of wisdom shared by people above the age of 50. Nigella is beautiful in a way that is timeless which is the kind of beauty that lasts long, simply as I do often advocate for – a beauty that is both inside and out. She has this aura that is both natural and goddess like. She preaches to the world about comfort through cooking and eating food and she naturally gives this very comforting feeling to audiences through her personality.

There is so many things I believe we can learn from Nigella. She is like a force of nature that is not intimidating or restricting but is harmonious. Looking at her life and career it can be said that she is someone who has always done what she wanted to do because it feels good and not because she is aspiring to some great goal of accomplishment. She aligns herself with life situations and continues to progress forward in a very natural way.
Nigella’s life story is a complicated mix of both tragedy and privilege. She was born to a wealthy household; her father Nigel Lawson was a prominent politician in Margaret Thatcher’s ( the iron lady of Britain) government and her mother Vanessa was a well known socialite. Her quite wealthy family background is not really what propelled Nigella to become who she is known to the world for because she also had to endure some very painful circumstances in life with her parents divorce, her difficult relationship with her mother, the death of her mother, sister and 1st husband to cancer in the early years of her life and the most recent infamous divorce from ex-husband Charles Saatchi. It is her strength and talent that naturally made her become the most beloved author and television personality internationally and also making her an immovable elegant force of nature. She is a reminder of how unpredictable life is, we never know what’s coming next and all we can do is to always come back from set backs in top form and to never get beaten down by anything in life. Another lesson we can learn from her life story is that being privileged is never an excuse to do nothing but instead we should all be striving to do something we can be proud, something that we love. Vinaka Nigella Lawson – that’s Fijian for ‘thank you Nigella’. I am thanking her just in case some miracle happens and she reads this post. I know silly me but I would really like her to know how much I appreciate her for being a superwoman.

From Britain moving onto America, I have got to talk about Oprah Winfrey. Oprah is Oprah, the big O who is just an extraordinary human being. She is super successful no question about that, Oprah Winfrey is rich. She is not only rich and fulfilled materially but also spiritually too. Oprah is a greatest example and also a preacher of a purpose driven life; seeking that purpose, trusting that purpose and fulfilling that purpose. I love how connected she is to her inner being and how spiritually aware she is. Oprah years ago ended her most successful Television career just to launch into an even bigger career which is starting OWN Network. That is what this post is about which is as long as we have that breath of life  to continue to strive towards exciting adventures and bigger things regardless of how old or how young we are. With Oprah and likewise all of the people I have discussed so far, the key is authenticity and just being our best selves.

Then there is the lady who will soon be running the world - Hillary Clinton. Running for President at that age gives me so much motivation and strength. I admire her stamina and I want her stamina. Just recently, despite suffering from Pneumonia she continued on her campaigning events just to be taken to hospital during one of those events and there is footage showing her collapsing into her car.  The other proof of her stamina was when she was scrutinized in the Benghazi trial for 11 hours. Another aspect of Hillary Clinton is ‘courage’, - she has shown tremendous courage while facing up to all that she  faced in her life and that is the courage I would like to posses. I am certainly looking forward to seeing America’s first female president taking office.

It’s been such a long post isn’t it. As you can see I am very enthusiastic about this subject, it’s kind like me taking time out to think of the very long term which I am very excited about. By looking at these peoples examples I am getting to set myself long term goals. There is so much we can learn from older people out there and as young people we should take a time out and learn. If you are reading this I would like to hear from you; Do you have any people over 50 who inspire you? How do they inspire you? Please do share.

Till the next post please take care and keep on dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment