Wednesday 21 September 2016

Fresh and fabulous over fifty - Part 1

This week I am excited to share how I have been getting inspired by remarkable people aged 50 and above who are proving that there is a great life to look forward to during our middle age and beyond. These are people who are living life to the fullest and show no signs of ever slowing down anytime soon. They look great as ever and even with lines and wrinkles here and there - which they embrace and never try to get rid of. Its their youthful spirit that just shines through overshadowing every other thing that might be of concern to other people who don't embrace old age yet they just float through elegantly. A good sense of humour, playfulness and a continued yearning for adventure is what makes people remain fresh and fabulous after the age of 50.

For us young people its important that we look to older people for inspiration because they have lived it longer and they sure do have much wisdom that we can use as we progress on our journey in life. There is so many things that they have figured out and maybe by listening to them we may get to realise what are the most important things in life that we should be focused on.

There is so many people aged 50 and above out there who are rocking it fresh and fabulous and we can even find them in our very own communities and its important that we go out and find them, have a cup of tea or coffee with them and just talk about life. For this post however my list of fresh and fabulous people after 50 consists of mostly internationally well known people who I am a fan of and who’s approach towards ageing I admire and also setting great examples of how life is to be lived. Information about them is abundantly available on the internet so maybe the next time you search for what Jenifer Lawrence is doing you can also look Hellen Miren up.

Some of those that I find inspirational above the age of 50 are Nigella Lawson, Oprah Winfrey, Wendy Williams, Julianne Moore, Dame Judie Dench, Helen Miren and Oprah Winfrey.

First let's talk about the beloved Helen Miren. I love Helen Miren!! Have you seen the trailer for ‘Collateral Beauty’? Oh my gosh she looked absolutely stunning. In an interview with The Guardian she talks about growing old and she says “The reality is, you either die young or you get old. There is nothing in between.” She futher adds on that the best thing about the 2nd option which I personally prefer is that “...The longer your life, the more you have to remember, and.. have amazing memories.” For Helen Miren at that age it’s a well known fact that she has a steel grip on her career, I love the strong characters she continues to play and if you read up on her interviews you will notice that she has a good command on her life. It is her honest opinions, authenticity and sense of humour that I find endearing about her. She is not afraid to voice out her opinions and is comfortable to express herself. She is not pretentious and she just serves it up as she sees it and as it is. When asked if she felt beautiful she gave an answer that I found very comforting; “I hate that word (beautiful) Kate Moss is beautiful, so is David Beckham, and I can appreciate a beautiful girl walking down the street. Young is beautiful. But the majority of us are something else, and I wish there was another word for it." But does she feel that she looks better now than she ever was “Oh no, I definitely don’t look better now than when I was young. Definitely not. Of course I looked better then. The great thing that happens as you age is that you don’t really give a flying fuck. I don’t look so good, but I don’t care.” That’s definitely a very comfortable attitude to have and it requires inner confidence like Helen Miren to say "You take me with my attitude or don’t have me."

Another L’Oréal Ambassador and actress who’s approach towards life I love is Julianne Moore. In this very globalised world that we are in we young people are conditioned to strive to be as successful and accomplished as early as possible in life. I myself feel this internal pressure as if I am racing against time. I set myself lofty goals to achieve before I turn 25 and all my life plans are due by the time I turn 30 whereby I shouldve accomplished all my goals. So reading about people like Julianne Moore who are slowly but steadily enjoying success and accomplishment is heart warming. "I don’t think that early success really serves anybody. What are you going to do for the rest of your life? What do you aspire to? It’s all about doing work because you like doing it. That’s what will sustain you, rather than doing it for fame or recognition." Those were her words in an interview with The Telegraph and it really changed my perspective, like I get to loosen the strings a bit and allow myself some room to properly breathe and live more mindfully with much contentment too. To take life each day as it comes. She goes on further saying "I’ve learnt that you have to appreciate every minute. Don’t wish your life away. Be present..If you’re 50 you’re never going to be 50 ever again so enjoy being 50.”

To be continued next week....

*Sorry but I'll see you next week friend, I got to go now but I really would like to talk more about this properly. Coming up next week I'll be discussing the Domestic godess Nigella Lawson, beloved Dame Judie Dench and the big O, Oprah. See you at this very space same time next week. 😊 Please feel free to give your opinion as to how we can prepare for a fresh and fabulous life after 50 or maybe you can share people who inspire you.

Okay than byeeieee, take care and all the best in whatever you get to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment